I first heard about the Athar’a Pure Indian Glow Face Scrub from my vegan blogger friend, Sunny, from Vegan Beauty Review. She raved about it, so I knew I had to try it. Turns out, she was right – this stuff is gold (literally…it’s a golden color and figuratively…it’s awesome).
Athar’a Pure is a clean, organic skincare line inspired by ancient Eastern and Ayurvedic traditions. The founder, Sara Davoodi, based her line on the cosmetics she’s been mixing up in her kitchen since she was a young girl. When her family was affected by cancer, she started doing research on toxic ingredients, and knew she had to start her own, healthy skincare line.
The Indian Glow Face Scrub is a powder made with sandalwood, turmeric, neem, rice powder, oat flour, kaolin clay, orange peel powder, flaxseed and guava fruit powder.
To use, just add a few drops of water to 3/4 teaspoon of the power, apply to your face and massage in circular motions. The directions say to rinse, but I left mine on like a mask for about 20 minutes and then rinsed.
After rinsing, I was shocked at how smooth and clean my skin felt. I couldn’t stop touching it (with clean fingers of course!). It wasn’t tight and dry at all. My skin is combination – more on the oily side – but often scrubs and masks with clay can make it TOO dry, which can cause irritation. The Indian Glow Face Scrub is perfect – not oily and not dry! It’s perfect for all skin types. It has a light, herbal scent – nothing too crazy.
So, what makes this scrub such a winner? Anyone can put some kaolin clay in a jar and sell it. But this scrub is SO much more than that. Here are some ingredient highlights:
- Turmeric and sandalwood provide antibacterial and anti-fungal properties (great for fighting acne and reducing inflammation)
- Organic oat flour soothes irritated skin (great exfoliant, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredient)
- Organic brown rice powder evens skin tone and fades dark spots (it also gives you a nice exfoliation similar to Dermalogica’s Daily Microfoliant)
- Neem is excellent in both treating and healing problematic skin such as acne, eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis (it also antibacterial, fades scars, treats dry skin and stimulates collagen production)
- Orange peel powder delivers a high level of Vitamin C to brighten your complexion, combat free radicals and renews skin cells (I’m sensitive to Vitamin C, but this was not an issue for my sensitive skin)
The scrub is vegan, cruelty-free, gluten-free, paraben-free and non-GMO. Athar’a Pure products are Leaping Bunny and PETA certified cruelty free.
And if you needed another reason to try this vegan face scrub, Athar’a Pure gives a portion of proceeds back to plant moringa trees, build orphanages and make sure communities have access to clean water!
I highly recommend the cruelty free Indian Glow Face Scrub. There are a lot of other Athar’a Pure products that you may be interested in trying. Check out their skincare guides by skin type, to see what is recommended for YOUR skin. You can also take a quiz to see which dosha you fall under (I’m a Pitta and a Kapha).